November 6, 2014

How to Not Quit

My district is under a lot of pressure. Test scores dropped at the high school. One elementary school was already labeled as level 4 (level 5 means state takeover). Half that elementary school was handed to a private charter (stories I hear are crazy - having half a school privatized sounds like a nightmare). On the other hand, the high school met the 3 year progress goals set by the state and the elementary school in question had a big improvement in test scores (pre-privatization). It's really easy to get caught up in the negative and the demands to work harder/smarter/magically better with kids who seem to have more issues every year. Grades were due for quarter one today so pressure has built to a maximum and many people were venting their frustrations. So we took the time during our team meeting to step back and made this list (among others):

What practices can we employ to feel good about our job:
a. Avoid negative talk/people. Replace with positive affirmations.*
b. Leave work at work
c. Attend school events (reminds us of the big picture)
d. Have a passionate hobby (have something other than teaching)
e. Don’t sacrifice your philosophy for other peoples' goals
f. Sing and laugh ’til you cry because you wet your pants.**
g. Eat lunch with people who laugh, sing and improve your outlook.
h. Exercise, both your body and your mind.
i. Sleep, many hours, every night.

*I shared the One Good Thing blog, and vowed to go back to daily posting.

**We rephrased this bullet point many times, and laughed about all possible phrasings.

What would you add to this list?

3 comments:

  1. Item 'g' is a solid practice.
    Here's my addition:
    Have crayons, colored pencils, and markers on hand for doodling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great list! I have found that being on twitter and the MtBoS has given me knew inspiration. It leaves me with a positive feeling toward my job. I think it's because I'm "around" positive, like minded people.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd add that an emphasis to 'a' and 'g'. Venting can eventually lead to complaining, which doesn't necessarily help an organization.

    ReplyDelete