May 28, 2016

Feeling Appreciated

I don't remember much about the PD now, two years later, but I know there was a list of strategies for leaders/managers. The conversation inspired this tweet. The only reason I remember it is because it's my pinned tweet. I know giving and receiving kudos is important and I need the regular reminder to acknowledge my students accomplishments individually. This idea, acknowledging hard work, is also an excellent answer to the question I posed recently about teacher retention.

I ended the day yesterday feeling like my head was spinning and I was totally overwhelmed. (Thanks to my friends who listened to me talk through everything!) Among other things I was conflicted because in the morning my administrator talked to me about maybe changing up my schedule next year to teach mostly Algebra 2 but the department head for special education talked to me both before and after that about being part of the language based disability program, as an Algebra 1 teacher. Where I end up will depend on who we hire for the open positions and I still don't like the feeling of uncertainty I'm left with. But I want to focus on the positive aspects - it's nice to feel wanted.

The reason admin wants to move me is so I can lead the Algebra 2 team toward a more investigative and student centered teaching model. He referenced my solid understanding of the standards, my years in the district and my work with the Algebra 1 team. When discussing with the special education consultant and department head which training to attend over the summer they acknowledged that I already know many of the strategies that will come up. It's nice to be in a position where people know what training I've already done. It was nice to have conversations about my strengths with people who have been in my classroom. It was nice to be recognized.

I can't do everything, and I really hope that my preferences are taken into account, but for now I'm going to focus on feeling appreciated while I wait to see what unfolds.

No comments:

Post a Comment